Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HMS Prince of Wales and Repulse

HMS Prince of Wales and Repulse

I have heard a rumour that the propellers have been salvaged from the Battleship HMS Prince of Wales and Battlecruiser HMS Repulse, both sunk in the S China Sea by Japanese aircraft Dec 1941. Does anyone know this to be true?

Over 800 British sailors went down with these ships and it would be a real shame if these war graves have been pillaged in this way.

Safe Diving

Paul
    When you dive you enter an alien world, death is evolution's default state; at some point your life support will fail to function correctly, plan on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haynes View Post
    I have heard a rumour that the propellers have been salvaged from the Battleship HMS Prince of Wales and Battlecruiser HMS Repulse, both sunk in the S China Sea by Japanese aircraft Dec 1941. Does anyone know this to be true?

Over 800 British sailors went down with these ships and it would be a real shame if these war graves have been pillaged in this way.

Safe Diving

Paul
    Here is the reference to the picture where you can see they have been removed. Repulse propshaft - ok who pinched the prop? - Drmike's Photos | SmugMug

I also heard there is now oil continually leaking after having the props blown off.

Whoever was responsible should be held accountable for this act of vandalism!!!!
    You can run but you can't hide!

ISC Appointed Megalodon Dealer for East Australia
    ISC Trained Megalodon & Pathfinder Trimix Instructor & Service Technician
    http://www.closedcircuitdivers.com.au
    info@closedcircuitdivers.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haynes View Post

Safe Diving

Paul
    Yes, the props are all gone!
    I was diving both wrecks this April and you can see fresh broken shaft metal and debris on the sand just below the props area. Possibly removed beginning of this year. And oil was leaking out severely too that we had a hard time dodging the constant oil gobules floating towards us during deco on the trapeze.

Cheers!
    Davy

Guys

Firstly I would just like say that I have been sickened by the acts of vandalism that has recently taken place on both these wrecks.
    Techthailand run two charters to the wrecks this year and will run another trip again towards the end of September.
    We have been contacted by authorities in the UK asking us for details and photographs of the damage which has been caused by the removal of the remaining props on both wrecks.
    We are in communications with these guys at the moment and have offered to gather up as much info and photo's as we can and forward it to them as soon as we can.

Regards

Stuart Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by TechThailand View Post
    Guys

Firstly I would just like say that I have been sickened by the acts of vandalism that has recently taken place on both these wrecks.
    Techthailand run two charters to the wrecks this year and will run another trip again towards the end of September.
    We have been contacted by authorities in the UK asking us for details and photographs of the damage which has been caused by the removal of the remaining props on both wrecks.
    We are in communications with these guys at the moment and have offered to gather up as much info and photo's as we can and forward it to them as soon as we can.

Regards

Stuart Shaw
    Thanks Stuart, lets hope the culprits are identified. However although owned by the British Government, lying in international waters so far from the UK, I doubt whether there will be any form of prosecution.

In 2003 I was part of a joint Royal Navy / civilian technical diving team that recovered the ship's bell from HMS Prince of Wales, which now lies in the Maritime Museum Liverpool, near where she was built. What a shame this has happened, although with the value of bronze being what it is, it was only ever going to be a matter of time.

Rgds

Paul
    When you dive you enter an alien world, death is evolution's default state; at some point your life support will fail to function correctly, plan on it.

Unfortunately things like this will happen more and more especially when access to these depths becomes easier and more affordable.
    Its like the IJN Destroyer Amagiri here in Indonesia which has been almost complelety salvaged about 2 years ago. She lay in only 26mtrs water so was easy to access.This was the destroyer which rammed and sank JFK's PT boat in the Solomons during WW2.

They're doing the Perth near Jakarta as well now.

We were on the Repulse last week and mid afternoon a salvage vessel with a large crane and a pile of scrap metal pulled up and anchored a short distance away. A few hours later they sent a tender boat out to buzz around us and take a look and then return to the salvage vessel. A short time later they pulled the anchor and headed west toward the Malaysian coast. A few distance pictures were captured but the name of the vessel cannot be clearly seen. We could see that they were on a heading directly for the Repulse and with the equipment they had were capable of salvage operations and surely that was their intention until they found us present to oversee anything they tried.

John

Yeah real shame about the props. I was talking to some of the boys last night and reckon that the salvage vessel is there to pick up the props that were blasted off. I wish I would have thought to do a rekkie round the stern to have a look. I am afraid that you just cant stop this sort of thing unless the governments get involved.
    Here is the salvage vessel. Its a crappy shot, I know, but it was taken on a wide angle lens and it was at least a mile away!

PMP_2428.jpg

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Petemes; September 23rd, 2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: misspelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information